Mine rejection a ‘win’ for Manjimup
A proposal to mine bauxite in the Manjimup area will not go ahead following a decision by the mining warden last week.
An application to explore for bauxite was submitted by Prima Resources last year, with the aim of constructing and operating a bauxite mine and metal processing facility by 2016.
On July 10, the application was rejected, spurred by formal objections from farmers Neil Bartholomaeus and Julian Sharp.
The men claimed the proposed mine was inappropriate for land zoned Priority Agriculture and said mining would damage the region’s “clean and green image”.” This is a big win for agriculture in the ‘food bowl of the South West’,” Mr Bartholomaeus said.
Prima Resources chief executive officer Michael Shenton said prior to the application, the company consulted farmers and landholders who stated their support for the project.” Our intent was for mining to only have taken place on land owned by those farmers who wished to be involved in the project to receive a financial benefit from the bauxite on their land,” he said.
Despite the decision, Mr Shenton said the company was keen to continue engaging with local industry to build a “clean and green” future for the resources industry while creating employment opportunities.
The project was expected to employ as many as 600 people during construction and 200 in a direct, ongoing capacity.
Manjimup shire president Wade DeCampo said the decision was “disappointing” but did not mark the end of mining prospects in the region.” There are areas of our shire where we could have co-existence between mining and agriculture, among other things,” he said.” But it’s difficult to measure expectations of what a bauxite mine might or might not do to our area’s clean and green image.”
1635 total views, 2 today